Monster MMORPG Game Official Forum » Off-Topic Discussions » Off-Topic General Chat » Music » What Instrument do you play, want to play, or is learning how to play?
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Instrument do you play, want to play, or is learning how to play?
I'm just wondering what everyone's interest is in instruments. In this thread, you can say what your favorite instrument is and what you want to play. You can also say what instrument that you are currently learning how or want to learn how to play Smile

I joined band class this year in high school because I wanted to play the percussion (drums). Unfortunately, I was not able to as it seemed like there were a lot of people playing percussion. For like the first few days... There were only around 5-6 people playing percussion and then like.. on Thursday (I think), more people were in percussion. There was like.. 15 people in percussion '-' So yea, I was very much upset.

So then.. I wanted to play the Saxophone Big Grin I wanted to join jazz band. Teacher said something.. I forget. He said he wasn't sure and there wasn't another space in there for another sax player. So, I couldn't play that '-'

So then.. He decided to put me with the french horn. There was no one playing french horn lol The other 2 people in french horn weren't playing it either. Then my friend joined band and he got to play Saxophone. So yea I was kinda.. angry <_< Then, on Friday, the teacher decided to put me on the Baritone because he needed another Baritone player.

So, starting Monday I will be learning how to play the Baritone. In my head.. I'm raging '-' I wanted to play 2 instruments, not these other.. stuff.

So anyways.. Post about what you are learning, wanting to play, wanting to learn how to play, or your favorite instrument, etc.
Band can be like that...

Anyway, I play clarinet as my main instrument, and string bass aka upright bass as my jazz instrument. I fail at playing bass... since I've only played it for three days. But I'm getting the hang of it.

I used to play the violin, but then I dropped it because it was boring. Boring. So, that's basically my instruments in a nutshell tbh. I would say more, but I don't know what else to say actually.
(2011-09-18, 11:42 PM)Dawn Wrote: Band can be like that...

Anyway, I play clarinet as my main instrument, and string bass aka upright bass as my jazz instrument. I fail at playing bass... since I've only played it for three days. But I'm getting the hang of it.

I used to play the violin, but then I dropped it because it was boring. Boring. So, that's basically my instruments in a nutshell tbh. I would say more, but I don't know what else to say actually.
lol cool. The band class in my school is concert band so we don't get string instruments :/

I wanted to play the bass as well because I like the sound of it. My teacher tried to put me on the clarinet and I said no lol xDDD

(2011-09-18, 11:45 PM)Deidara Wrote:

lol cool. The band class in my school is concert band so we don't get string instruments :/

I wanted to play the bass as well because I like the sound of it. My teacher tried to put me on the clarinet and I said no lol xDDD

We don't have a string section in my school band. ^^ I just play violin somewhere else, but that got boring for me, so I'm dropping that this year. Clarinet's really competitive sometimes... so you have to be good at playing it... ._.

If you wanted to play bass, make sure you're decently tall, and you have big hands. My hands are on the small side, so those fingerings are a giant nightmare to reach actually. ;>
(2011-09-18, 11:50 PM)Dawn Wrote:

We don't have a string section in my school band. ^^ I just play violin somewhere else, but that got boring for me, so I'm dropping that this year. Clarinet's really competitive sometimes... so you have to be good at playing it... ._.

If you wanted to play bass, make sure you're decently tall, and you have big hands. My hands are on the small side, so those fingerings are a giant nightmare to reach actually. ;>
I'm short ;-;

I'm like.. 5'4" lol idk. People say my hands are big. My hands can mimic spiders '-' This girl took her book and squashed my hand cuz I was crawling like a spider ;-;

im looking forward on guitar lessons
[Image: Zelda.jpg]"Don't mess with Treason. Team Chrono~Private 1st Class
(2011-09-18, 11:55 PM)Deidara Wrote:
(2011-09-18, 11:50 PM)Dawn Wrote:

I'm short ;-;

I'm like.. 5'4" lol idk. People say my hands are big. My hands can mimic spiders '-' This girl took her book and squashed my hand cuz I was crawling like a spider ;-;

You're... taller than me. I guess you're fine playing Bass.
i wanna play the electric guitar sooo bad!!
(2011-09-19, 12:13 AM)hello4321 Wrote: i wanna play the electric guitar sooo bad!!
Why are you posting on 2 different accounts?

Well.. Yea guitars are cool
the harp is my favorite instrument. i also like the violin alot. i currently play the piano. my lil bro is learning how to play the clarinet just like my uncle, and my cusion did. The trumpet and the bagpipes are both rly cool insturments...then again the only instrument i dont rly like to listen to is the picilo its to much of a whistle.
band at my high school is diffrent from most that i can tell. by the time you get to high school band you have already played the same instrument for 3 years. our durmline is a select few of the best with tryouts in the spring and practice thru out the summer. its the same way with our color guard (flags and rifels on the field that perform with the band).
"Age shouldn't affect you. It's just like the size of your shoes - they don't determine how you live your life! You're either marvellous or you're boring, regardless of your age."
Steven Morrissey
in the 5th grade i joined the band class at my school and played percussions and in the sixth grade i played the drum set then i quit Big Grin
[Image: tumblr_m8mm02adYC1qgqflko1_500.gif]
idk im bored but yeah i really want guitar lessons. im going to choose guitar lessons as my elective next year
I play violin. I had a guitar and was going to take lessons for it but it disappeared ono. I want to learn how to play piano. I mostly want to play now for anime music covers instead of being in orchestra like always. I might return to orchestra someday however my main focus now is to improve my violin skills and writing/transcribing music.
I am a master at the air guitar (^-^)/
Your life just got better. 

You're welcome.

[Image: k29ed.jpg]
i played the little guitar before
little guitar=ukelele?

I have a guitar thats accoustic/electric. I wanna learn to play it. I aspire to be a richie blackmore or Jimi Hendrix. That aint gonna happen lol.
Quote: Do you hear the Whisper Men The Whisper Men are near
If you hear the Whisper Men then turn away your ears
Do not hear the Whisper Men whatever else you do
For once you've heard the Whisper Men they'll stop. And look at you.
(2011-09-19, 02:28 AM)Ghost Wrote: I am a master at the air guitar (^-^)/
Lmao
(2011-09-19, 02:55 AM)Treason Wrote: i played the little guitar before
Little guitar?

The ukelele in Hawaii? Or the Banjo down south?

lol

ukeleles are not exclusive to hawaii
(2011-09-19, 06:38 PM)orboknown Wrote: ukeleles are not exclusive to hawaii
I know.
ALso,electric keyboard>piano.just sayin.
(2011-09-19, 06:56 PM)orboknown Wrote: ALso,electric keyboard>piano.just sayin.
I want to play keyboard.

Lol sometimes you can just press a button and fake playing it XD

Just 1 button and you can play a song lol
When I was in third grade, they made us all go to the auditorium and choose which musical instruments interested us. After they played a large variety of instruments, I immediately fell in love with three of them. One was the violin, another one was the clarinet, and the third one was the trombone. Then, a few weeks later, we went back to test out the instruments. I really enjoyed the clarinet and the trombone, but I loved the violin the most. I'm not really sure why. I just think I loved the sound, even though I originally wanted to play an instrument which involved me blowing into something. Anyway, I chose the violin as my primary instrument, and then I started my musical career.

In fourth grade I started taking lessons at my school, and I really did not find any trouble getting the hang of things. I could reach difficult notes my peers had trouble reaching easily, and I just was really good. I used to practice at home all the time, honing my skills and going beyond what my teacher assigned me. Eventually, I reached fifth grade and had to join the school orchestra. In the beginning I shifted between being far away and being in the middle of the orchestra, but my goal was to sit in the front seats in all the concerts. That didn't exactly happen in fifth grade, but I apparently impressed my teacher and I made it to the third or fourth seat away from the conductor, which was pretty good at that time. When I entered sixth grade, however, I was immediately promoted to the front seats, and I basically stayed there for the entire year. I did not face that much competition to my throne, and if I did I completely destroyed anyone who challenged me. I was considered an elite player, and I competed in some state competitions at that time.

However, some things changed when I entered middle school. In middle school, I realized that there were people who were better than me. There were people who took private lessons. There were people who were so elite that they made me look like a novice violin player. I ended up being pushed back to the fourth or fifth stand, and I lost a considerable amount of self-esteem because of that. I did not practice very hard during that year. In eighth grade the same thing occurred. The elite players just kept getting better and better, and I did not really practice that much to boost my skill level. I was still crushed by that fact that I went from being the best player in elementary school to being only mediocre in middle school.

In high school, I sort of gave up completely. Our high school orchestra consisted of players from all the grades, and that pretty much put me somewhere in the back. My self-esteem dipping even lower, I gave up practicing and somehow managed to pass the midterms and finals for orchestra. I did not compete in any state competitions during this time. After that terrible freshman year I decided to quit playing in the orchestra completely, and now I am a sophomore and I am not playing in the orchestra. We only have to take a music/art course for one year to be able to graduate, so I'm safe. When I was in middle school I became interested in electronic dance music, and at the end of my freshman year I became VERY interested in that genre of music. I listened to trance music all the time, and I eventually began to produce trance songs, though none of them are particularly good (I'm still learning though!). So yeah, I don't play an instrument now, I just produce electronic dance music using programs like FL Studio. Looking back now, I wish I had practiced more in middle school, as that would have increased my self-esteem a lot more. Oh well.
(2011-09-19, 10:32 PM)Lamb Wrote: When I was in third grade, they made us all go to the auditorium and choose which musical instruments interested us. After they played a large variety of instruments, I immediately fell in love with three of them. One was the violin, another one was the clarinet, and the third one was the trombone. Then, a few weeks later, we went back to test out the instruments. I really enjoyed the clarinet and the trombone, but I loved the violin the most. I'm not really sure why. I just think I loved the sound, even though I originally wanted to play an instrument which involved me blowing into something. Anyway, I chose the violin as my primary instrument, and then I started my musical career.

In fourth grade I started taking lessons at my school, and I really did not find any trouble getting the hang of things. I could reach difficult notes my peers had trouble reaching easily, and I just was really good. I used to practice at home all the time, honing my skills and going beyond what my teacher assigned me. Eventually, I reached fifth grade and had to join the school orchestra. In the beginning I shifted between being far away and being in the middle of the orchestra, but my goal was to sit in the front seats in all the concerts. That didn't exactly happen in fifth grade, but I apparently impressed my teacher and I made it to the third or fourth seat away from the conductor, which was pretty good at that time. When I entered sixth grade, however, I was immediately promoted to the front seats, and I basically stayed there for the entire year. I did not face that much competition to my throne, and if I did I completely destroyed anyone who challenged me. I was considered an elite player, and I competed in some state competitions at that time.

However, some things changed when I entered middle school. In middle school, I realized that there were people who were better than me. There were people who took private lessons. There were people who were so elite that they made me look like a novice violin player. I ended up being pushed back to the fourth or fifth stand, and I lost a considerable amount of self-esteem because of that. I did not practice very hard during that year. In eighth grade the same thing occurred. The elite players just kept getting better and better, and I did not really practice that much to boost my skill level. I was still crushed by that fact that I went from being the best player in elementary school to being only mediocre in middle school.

In high school, I sort of gave up completely. Our high school orchestra consisted of players from all the grades, and that pretty much put me somewhere in the back. My self-esteem dipping even lower, I gave up practicing and somehow managed to pass the midterms and finals for orchestra. I did not compete in any state competitions during this time. After that terrible freshman year I decided to quit playing in the orchestra completely, and now I am a sophomore and I am not playing in the orchestra. We only have to take a music/art course for one year to be able to graduate, so I'm safe. When I was in middle school I became interested in electronic dance music, and at the end of my freshman year I became VERY interested in that genre of music. I listened to trance music all the time, and I eventually began to produce trance songs, though none of them are particularly good (I'm still learning though!). So yeah, I don't play an instrument now, I just produce electronic dance music using programs like FL Studio. Looking back now, I wish I had practiced more in middle school, as that would have increased my self-esteem a lot more. Oh well.
whow thats harsh

(2011-09-19, 07:09 PM)Deidara Wrote:
(2011-09-19, 06:56 PM)orboknown Wrote: ALso,electric keyboard>piano.just sayin.
I want to play keyboard.

Lol sometimes you can just press a button and fake playing it XD

Just 1 button and you can play a song lol
synthz FTW

Drums, So I can beat sense into the people of this world.
CeFurkan Wrote:
@Nitz_X u really should leave this game
[Image: kSLYA.png]
lol.
I wanna bump this thread.

Man, I'm getting better at playing Baritone. I read Bass Clef, not Treble Clef.
It's my second year of playing this instrument. I also played it for Marching Band, which has been a lot of fun. I'm planning on doing Marching Band next year ^^

Next year will be my Senior year in high school and I'll be joining Lab Jazz on the Valve Trombone. Lab Jazz is the class that you have to take before joining the official Jazz Band. So, I'll be in Concert Band and Lab Jazz which is really fun. Teacher sees a lot of potential in me, even though I started from scratch. I feel as though I'm doing really good for only starting in 2011.

Now, in my Concert Band class, we already had 1 concert so far. That was the Winter concert. It was great. We failed one song, I failed one song. It was so horrible, I just hated myself in that song. Oh gosh =_= But it was a hard song for all of us. I've been given solos now and I don't think I'm up to it.

Darn, I went off track. Umm.. Well yea, we got our music for the Spring Concert now. In one song, no solos!! *totally happy* and I listened to it on youtube to get the feel of it before I start practicing. In the other song.. I'm totally raging because I have 7 solos! 7 SOLOS!!! In one friggin song, I have 7. I shouldn't be given solos, I'm basically the only baritone player we have right now.

There's 1 other player, he's my friend, I got him to play with me Smile He's doing okay for just beginning but he still needs work. He can't be given solos yet but I'm going to try and see where he can actually play. The songs we just got now are kinda hard.

So, I'm freaking out on the 7 solos in one song. It's a civil war suite. Apparently the artist LOVES my instrument for 7 freaking solos.

=_=

*Turned into a band geek..*
i'm a beast at drums
I play the recorder, which is stupid.
[Image: b52qe9.jpg]
May the FORCE be with you!
Never knew this thread existed, anyway, i play Guitar, Bass, Drums, Keys, and i can sing, the voice is also an instrument Smile not bragging hehe

I plan on playing the sax and violin in the future, violin should be extremely easy due to the fact i am great with string instruments

Hmm here is a couple of my old songs, all recorded on my cousins 16 track a wile back, i am playing all instruments in the songs Wink

https://www.myspace.com/mike52119
[Image: blackstarsig_zpsc46521c1.jpeg]