Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Spectrorb redesign, debate
Hy everyone and Happy Halloween!

My next assigment is to redesign a darker creature, Spectrorb!
This Dark/Fire type monster has a ghost-like appearance, however for the new version of Monster MMORPG we wish to replace all monsters to more animalic creatures!
So when I was working on the new versions for Spectrorb, I tried to be original with the design, so I present you those two that I found to be the most fitting for this creature!

A Version: Ape Monster/ I tried something that resembles the original one more, but still makes it more beast-like instead of ghost.

B Version: Horse Monster/ With this design, I wanted to do something completely new, something that I found to be fitting to the Dark/Fire type.

[Image: spectorb_sketches_by_hegedusroberto-d6slr5g.png]

I wonder witch version you like more!
Thank you and leave a comment!

[EDIT]

Based on the comments and the input of SparrowHawk, I did some modifications,
hope you like it!

[Image: spectrorb_sketch_2_by_hegedusroberto-d6sros8.png]

[EDIT 2]

Decisions, decisions

[Image: spectorb___final_draft_by_hegedusroberto-d6t05nz.png]
"A" because it looks the same but better, if that makes sense xD There are a lot of horse/dog type monsters in the game so "A" would stand out more.
[Image: 5nI4bBx.png?3]
Credits to Prysma 2 for the signature image!
A is better

Same reason... Too much dogs/hound/dragons already...

+ it looks like a monkey wich is awesome.
Yea I say A to: )  looks cooler lol.
They are both interesting but.. Spectrorb is supposed to be a ghost ):
No animal reference..
(2013-11-01, 06:30 PM)SparrowHawk Wrote: They are both interesting but.. Spectrorb is supposed to be a ghost ):
No animal reference..

Yeah, that's what I originally thought, really it should stay mysterious, after all it does contain most of the word "spectre" and it does look like a ghostly figure.
[Image: 5nI4bBx.png?3]
Credits to Prysma 2 for the signature image!
A version looks interestingRolleyes
(2013-11-01, 06:34 PM)Xbox Wrote:
(2013-11-01, 06:30 PM)SparrowHawk Wrote: They are both interesting but.. Spectrorb is supposed to be a ghost ):
No animal reference..

Yeah, that's what I originally thought, really it should stay mysterious, after all it does contain most of the word "spectre" and it does look like a ghostly figure.
I had it re-drawn and added to the game by Garbagekeeper. My monster :p
A design is epic Wink
[Image: 11jozyq.jpg]
No animal reference..

Hy SparrowHawk!

Yes, I want to respect your original concept as much as I can. I know it's suppose to be a ghost type, but in the near future every monster will go through a renewing that will give them animalic trait (some will probably be completely redesigned to get rid of the too human parts such as clothes)

Right now I thought that "A" could be a good ghost desing with dark blue/purple flames/smoke as it's fur.
But if you don't like it I think I can do a few more sketches, if you have any idea what animal-ghost form would fit Spectrorb the best,
I'm looking forward to your input Smile

At the end I still want you to feel that this monster is yours.
Definitely A! it seems way more interesting, as it still keeps its original design more than if B was used. B is more Dog-ish than the "monkey-ghost" thingy^^ Even so, as long as the original design is not a total difference, i like it Smile
[Image: viking.png]

The Vikings Will Rampage.
(2013-11-01, 07:45 PM)Robert Fiddler Wrote:
No animal reference..

Hy SparrowHawk!

Yes, I want to respect your original concept as much as I can. I know it's suppose to be a ghost type, but in the near future every monster will go through a renewing that will give them animalic trait (some will probably be completely redesigned to get rid of the too human parts such as clothes)

Right now I thought that "A" could be a good ghost desing with dark blue/purple flames/smoke as it's fur.
But if you don't like it I think I can do a few more sketches, if you have any idea what animal-ghost form would fit Spectrorb the best,
I'm looking forward to your input Smile

At the end I still want you to feel that this monster is yours.
Does it have to be animalistic? >_>

I like A the most.
Imo it should stay a ghost too...

But if not then this monkey would definitly be a good sub.

We need more monkeys <_< XD
The question is why do we need to be animalistic?
Imo the game should feel free to evolve into a darker,yes bestial but nit necessarily physical, forms. Our game is monsters, not kids pets. Some of knosts illustrations fit this image of carnality and despair in the creations and we can easily mold a story to that.
I realize this is supposed to be somewhat a kids game but many of our players are in the teen or higher range yet we are still subconsciously pandering to the pokemon audience

Edit-this is prolly the longest game related post i have made in years ha ha
Quote: Do you hear the Whisper Men The Whisper Men are near
If you hear the Whisper Men then turn away your ears
Do not hear the Whisper Men whatever else you do
For once you've heard the Whisper Men they'll stop. And look at you.
There's only 3 horse monsters haha

And there's only 6 distinguishable dog monsters hah
Resident noob
I like A the best!

(2013-11-01, 09:47 PM)orboknown Wrote: Imo the game should feel free to evolve into a darker,yes bestial but nit necessarily physical, forms. Our game is monsters, not kids pets.

Smile

(2013-11-01, 09:47 PM)orboknown Wrote: Some of knost's illustrations fit this image of carnality and despair in the creations and we can easily mold a story to that.

Smile

(2013-11-01, 09:47 PM)orboknown Wrote: I realize this is supposed to be somewhat a kids game but many of our players are in the teen or higher range yet we are still subconsciously pandering to the pokemon audience

I agree with the orbocle. I want more dangerous, predator-like monsters! I want the evil demon-like monsters!

Maybe something like a half-horse and a half-minotaur that hides deep in a necropolis.
Idea
The minotaur will have 4 legs.
The minotaur will be as big and intimidating as a T-rex.
The minotaur's horns will be curved upward.

In the drawing, only one of the minotaur's eyes will be showing because he has his head lifted up.

The minotaur's back will not be shown, yet the person examining the drawing will see that the minotaur's back is radiating the forms of evil spirits in the form of black smoke.

It will have hands that can conjure dog-sized demons made of flame and hate. (The drawing will show these small demons pouring out of the minotaur's hands in the form of flames)

It will be a fire and dark, a dark and steel, or a dark and psychic type. (Preferably dark and psychic)
Idea

Its good to know that Henrie didn't completely abandon this game.
Imo theres so much that can hide in the dark and we should shine a light on that

(+1 that nickname doe)
I'm not sure if I'm completely on board with the idea of more animalistic creatures tbh... What Orbs said sort of sums up what I think quite nicely Smile

Anyways, I suppose if I really had to choose I would pick 'A'. Spectrob just does not seem like it should become another horse imo
[Image: attachment.php?aid=448]
~^±|I|±^~Pyro Piglet~^±|I|±^~ 
»»»»»»[IGN: Tanklet]««««««
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Its spectrorb doe shouldnt it be orbish?
lol Wink Yes, a spectre version of Orbs would probably be quite awesome...
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
If i was a monster i would either be something witty like the Sphinx or a ghost/dark type
Eeh I there are so many monster ideas I want to sketch ._. Now just isn't a good time though... I promise you one day I will sketch a monster resembling you Orbs Tongue
You dunno what i look like doe.
But yea ontopicness
The gorilla has more of a uniqueness to it, and looks better thought-out and posed than the horse.  Seems to be the general consensus as well.

The horse is unfitting for this monster, but as it's own concept could be useful.  The front leg needs a bit of tweaking, though - it looks as if it's a section longer and bends differently than the planted front leg.  S'what sketches are for.  My gut says it would make a good ghost/fire Monster - but since Curscreech is already a thing-  Perhaps the mane could be some sort of liquid or seaweed - making it more of a ghost/water type kelpie?

Two good drafts, but the first fits best.  Do the magic you do.
[Image: MightyenaSig.png]
Resembling you in a symbolic way, not as an actual person Wink

Actually Robert, If you really like drawing animistic monsters - perhaps try redrawing some of the monsters which already have animistic qualities to them? Smile I think that would suit your style of art a lot better
(2013-11-02, 02:22 AM)Pyro Piglet Wrote: Actually Robert, If you really like drawing animistic monsters - perhaps try redrawing some of the monsters which already have animistic qualities to them? Smile I think that would suit your style of art a lot better

Cef specifically asks redraw artists to change human qualities.  I played hell getting Majesrial added, since it started off as a... well, a power-puff girl.  Each revision was "too human", and I had to redraw that one no less than 4 times.

Pyro's got a point about avoiding the humanshape ones, lol.  Kudos to your bravery for going after it.
Henrie!
Also gots it tank lol
(2013-11-02, 02:29 AM)Henrie Wrote:
(2013-11-02, 02:22 AM)Pyro Piglet Wrote: Actually Robert, If you really like drawing animistic monsters - perhaps try redrawing some of the monsters which already have animistic qualities to them? Smile I think that would suit your style of art a lot better

Cef specifically asks redraw artists to change human qualities.  I played hell getting Majesrial added, since it started off as a... well, a power-puff girl.  Each revision was "too human", and I had to redraw that one no less than 4 times.

Pyro's got a point about avoiding the humanshape ones, lol.  Kudos to your bravery for going after it.

Oh really? I did not know that but ah I see... Not sure how I feel about that...
Although, what exactly defines human-like qualities? The body shape and features? Would that also include skeletons in the shape of humans?

Also, welcome back Henrie? Wink Nice to finally meet the great artist responsible for a large portion of the monster artwork Smile
Yeah, he's pretty touchy about it.  Human faces are straight out, and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't allow a Monster like Horus (human body, hawk head) because it's too human.  Sounds like human ghosts are not gonna work, either.  I guess I kinda understand that one - I mean, that would be someone's immortal soul you're boxing up for eternity.  Bones, aside from the skull, are pretty non-species-specific.  Some changes to the head - more demon-like - and I don't imagine the skeletons will need to be modified too much.
(2013-11-02, 11:30 AM)SparrowHawk Wrote:
(2011-11-07, 06:56 PM)SparrowHawk Wrote: [Image: Skurtull.jpg]
~Legendary~
Type : Ghost/Fire

This is the first Spectrorb.

[Image: NewSpectrorb_zps33dabdc7.png]

This is my NEW Spectrorb.

>_>