Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re-Arranging the Monster-Pedia Entries?
There are quite a few monsters, and people spend a great deal of time looking at their Monster-Pedia (Because I've yet to figure out what a 'Dex' is, but know full well what an encyclopedia is. ;P ) page. Since we might be changing the way monster abilities are assigned, I think it's worth discussing what details are useful on these pages and what details aren't.

Currently, we have the monster's
  • Image as shown in-game
  • Name
  • Ads.
  • ID #
  • Type(s)
  • Gender Ratio
  • Abilities
  • Catch Rate
  • Level Gain Speed
  • EXP Reward
  • TP Reward
  • Species
  • Height/Weight
  • Number in Game
  • Average Level of Player-Owned Monsters
  • Base Stats (In number form and with a neat little picture-graphic.)
  • Locations to be caught in-game currently.
  • Some ads.
  • Artist credits
  • More ads.
  • Type Match-ups
  • ...More ads...?
  • Transformation chain and details
  • Ads.
  • Learn-able moves
(At this moment, I'm realizing my internet is so special right now that it didn't bother loading the "Physical" and "Status" icons in the movesets area. Ahahah. Sad.)

In RED are things we're considering dropping from the pages entirely. Currently, Species and size metrics, as they do nothing and are relatively.... without purpose. Also, they're a pain to realistically detail for every monster. (Monster species have a comma now. Over 1k, eesh!)

In BLUE are things I think should be dropped, because they take up space and... I don't think too many people care about them? xD I don't. That's all blue means, that Henrie don't care. lol. Arguments for and against details are fully welcome here, whatever your opinion! Big Grin Also, this would be a good place to discuss possible new details to include in this portion. C: Once we've got a good pile of ideas, I'll consolidate them in the suggestions area. You know, then I'll pester Big Man Cef.
[Image: monsterpedia.png]
What I'm against:

Abilities
In the test server, we're playing around with the idea of randomly-generated Abilities. There are limits, of course, but it means that two of the same monster might have very different sets of abilities that they carry with them through their transformation stages. If this becomes the new ability method, then having any abilities listed in the 'Pedia... doesn't make sense.

Level Gain Speed
All monsters within a class level at the same speed. Their class is emblazoned across the top of this page. This detail doesn't give any concrete information (what does "Slow" mean? Check the wiki, I guess-why is that link there? The link is strange.) and is redundant. I say nix it.

AVG Level of Player-Owned Monsters of the Species
I understand keeping track of how MANY of a monster are owned, but the average level of those monsters seems silly to me. Especially when the monsters on maps are going to be shuffled around on occasion (So you might very well be catching level 70 versions of everything, if you're patient enough.) It'll leave every mosnter with an average level of... ~46? Helpful? Nah, drop it.

What I'd like to see:

Strongest One
"Strongest One?" What do I mean? I mean, of all the monsters of this species in the game, maybe highlight the one who has won the most battles? We're keeping track of wins/losses - why not link back to the player who puts that much time into their favorite mon? (When Knost gets back, I'm pretty sure he'd want dibs on Ruffial.) It could be based on one statistic, or on a combination of them. I think 'most battles won' is the easiest route to go.

Been Said a Million Times: Descriptions!
This... is an unrealistic goal. To get a short description of EVERY MONSTER would be a feat in and of itself! But should we band together as a community, I think this would be a fun project! Setting aside a small portion of the page for such things would be an interesting read and give the creatures themselves a bit more depth/awesomeness. Before this could be implemented, we gotta gather the materials. (Psst, guys! You should write descriptions!) If they aren't featured here, we could set aside time on the WIKI to give our beastiary some spotlight.

You are the Weekly Link
I think the game should have an official Monster of the Week. Get our PvP guys together on the forum and discuss the best tactical uses for a single monster, feature the final article (perhaps even on the game site itself, once the web redesign comes around) somewhere and LINK back to it from the Pedia entry! What a great tool for people to use!

What about you guys? What would you change? Why?
[Image: MightyenaSig.png]
I'd keep the level gain speed link...because not all monsters in a class have the same max exp...for example emissaries have 6mil/7mil

Also I adore the link it has...it lets me know how much more exp I need to get to x level...

Why not just use the wiki? because its far easier to do it this way...I just click the picture of my monster...which takes me to it's dex page...and then click level gain speed to bring up the list of what max exp you need to be at x level

Count that...2 clicks...no typing...and I get the information I want Tongue

I like the features you are proposing to add especially the strongest one/mon of the week

~Quantoooo out!~
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQjk8wO2t6sHmKt_B-_FtO...vOjUyihBSc]
Baw now I like the height / weight thing. Gives you a idea of how big they are ( and I worked my butt off to get all of those). But I totes agree on descriptions. Somewhere I have a bunch of my old ones anyways.
[Image: GolurkSig.png] Sig by SparrowHawk. Go check his sigs out.
DESCREEEPTIIIIOOOOOONNNNZZZZZZ
SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT

And if you guys need help, I shall gladly begin rolling out descriptions (without typos ;D) for some monsters. Henrie did an excellent job describing my concepts; I'm going to see if I can try and describe hers! And if she describes them herself... I'll go and describe something else! Big Grin
WHEN FIRST I APPEAR, I SEEM MYSTERIOUS! But when explained, I'm nothing serious. :3
Find me on deviantART, FanFiction, or YouTube!
Co-Composer of the Monster MMORPG Soundtrack
Ooh ooh monster of the week! Me wants! me also wants to be in charge! LoL!!
Monster MMORPG's first Kpop fan!
Back after more than 12 months of vacation. 
[Image: 2vkc4nq.gif]
(2012-11-30, 10:32 PM)TexasToast Wrote: DESCREEEPTIIIIOOOOOONNNNZZZZZZ
SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT

And if you guys need help, I shall gladly begin rolling out descriptions (without typos ;D) for some monsters. Henrie did an excellent job describing my concepts; I'm going to see if I can try and describe hers! And if she describes them herself... I'll go and describe something else! Big Grin
This game is community driven. Go, go forth and type up anything you please! Personally, (EVEN if I've written something up for a monster) I love reading user descriptions, because if you care enough to do a write-up, you care enough to make it interesting!

Anything you want to contribute, here's a good spot: https://forum.monstermmorpg.com/Thread-F...ext-Thread

It'll be fun to see what people come up with.
(2012-11-30, 11:39 PM)fjkulit Wrote: Ooh ooh monster of the week! Me wants! me also wants to be in charge! LoL!!
Go for it, I think you're doing a fine job so far. I wanna see a ghost-type in your next thread. Tongue (Loving what you did with Simoly, can you keep that same format?)

And yeah, GK. I'm a bit miffed about the height/weight thing as well. I wrote out a full thing for the ... what, twelve? (hahaha, looking at your pile of contributions, I truly feel small. x'D) monsters that I added. It was a pain. I can only imagine what you go through. My issue with the whole thing was that Cef goes and gets permission from the fakemon artists (...that brain-thing looked familiar. ...But I won't get into anything here. Eeesh. DeviantArt.) and THEY don't put nearly the effort into statistics that you have! So, there's piles of null/null null monsters right now. Might be easier to go with a small/medium/large deal there? Imagine your next batch of monsters being that much easier. Tongue

Also, WHEEE forum activity! xD It's been so dead in recent months, to see people being active makes me happy.
okay, i'll continue that format Smile
Monster MMORPG's first Kpop fan!
Back after more than 12 months of vacation. 
[Image: 2vkc4nq.gif]
Quote:And yeah, GK. I'm a bit miffed about the height/weight thing as well. I wrote out a full thing for the ... what, twelve? (hahaha, looking at your pile of contributions, I truly feel small. x'D) monsters that I added. It was a pain. I can only imagine what you go through. My issue with the whole thing was that Cef goes and gets permission from the fakemon artists (...that brain-thing looked familiar. ...But I won't get into anything here. Eeesh. DeviantArt.) and THEY don't put nearly the effort into statistics that you have! So, there's piles of null/null null monsters right now. Might be easier to go with a small/medium/large deal there? Imagine your next batch of monsters being that much easier. [Image: tongue.gif]
Baww and this is why I think that anyone who donates their monsters needs to do their half of the work. Or go through better quality check. Personally, doing height / weight was never a problem for me <A> (Yeah, I asked Cef to have it removed. Going to have it replaced with another one of my lines :I) But I suppose we could come up with a basic like... Tiny /Very Small / Small / Medium / Large / Very Large / Gargantuan
(2012-12-01, 04:55 AM)garbagekeeper Wrote: Baww and this is why I think that anyone who donates their monsters needs to do their half of the work. Or go through better quality check. Personally, doing height / weight was never a problem for me <A> (Yeah, I asked Cef to have it removed. Going to have it replaced with another one of my lines :I) But I suppose we could come up with a basic like... Tiny /Very Small / Small / Medium / Large / Very Large / Gargantuan
Hear-hear to the quality checks. But they've not occurred in the past and probably won't start now. *shrug* Height/Weight was always kinda weird to me, even with Pokemon, though. The weights were often unrealistic, and well... What's the height of an elephant? ...It changes. Especially between genders and other variables. Imaginary animals, for me, run along the same lines, with a pretty big margin for size differences. But I understand your point, too. Picking an 'average' for a species also makes sense.

It'd just make more sense if -all- of the monsters were given that same attention to detail. Circumstance has it that they aren't. And random values get thrown in. Before you know it, half of the creatures are 7 stories tall and weigh 468 lbs. (lolwhut) Makes me sad, so I'd rather not look at it. |D
[Image: MightyenaSig.png]
(2012-12-01, 06:21 AM)Henrie Wrote:
(2012-12-01, 04:55 AM)garbagekeeper Wrote: Baww and this is why I think that anyone who donates their monsters needs to do their half of the work. Or go through better quality check. Personally, doing height / weight was never a problem for me (Yeah, I asked Cef to have it removed. Going to have it replaced with another one of my lines :I) But I suppose we could come up with a basic like... Tiny /Very Small / Small / Medium / Large / Very Large / Gargantuan
Hear-hear to the quality checks. But they've not occurred in the past and probably won't start now. *shrug* Height/Weight was always kinda weird to me, even with Pokemon, though. The weights were often unrealistic, and well... What's the height of an elephant? ...It changes. Especially between genders and other variables. Imaginary animals, for me, run along the same lines, with a pretty big margin for size differences. But I understand your point, too. Picking an 'average' for a species also makes sense.

It'd just make more sense if -all- of the monsters were given that same attention to detail. Circumstance has it that they aren't. And random values get thrown in. Before you know it, half of the creatures are 7 stories tall and weigh 468 lbs. (lolwhut) Makes me sad, so I'd rather not look at it. |D
That's true. Perhaps a average idea might work for those then if anything at all, just to give players a general idea