Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MonsterMMORPG's Competitive Metagame
Welcome to MonsterMMORPG's very first thread concerning the competitive metagame of the game! As this is a fairly new development there is not a lot that is certain right now, but I'm sure we'll be able to get something started in no time.

For those of you who are confused, this thread will serve as an area where decisions regarding battles being played PvP on a competitive level will be made. That's really what this thread is all about. If you have any further questions, please ask in this thread.

First off, we will need to define some tiers. This system will assist us in categorizing Monsters based on their overall power. Since we can't really get usage stats on PvP battles yet, this system will be just fine. We already have the class system which does basically all of our work for us, and that will be the way the tiers will be organized for now.

So, these are the tiers:

Tiers
  • Starter - In the Starter tier, only Monsters in the Starter class may be used. All other Monsters are banned from play.
  • Regular - In the Regular tier, Monsters in both the Starter and Regular classes may be used. All other Monsters are banned from play.
  • Superior - In the Superior tier, Monsters in the Starter, Regular, and Superior classes may be used. All other Monsters are banned from play.
  • Emissary - In the Emissary tier, Monsters in the Starter, Regular, Superior, and Emissary classes may be used. All other Monsters are banned from play.
  • Zenith - In the Zenith tier, Monsters in the Starter, Regular, Superior, Emissary, and Zenith classes may be used. All other Monsters are banned from play.
  • Legendary - In the Legendary tier, Monsters in the Starter, Regular, Superior, Emissary, Zenith and Legendary classes may be used. All other Monsters are banned from play.
  • Ancient - In the Ancient tier, all Monsters are allowed.

Next, we will need some clauses to keep every match balanced. These clauses MUST be adhered to in EVERY battle. Failure to follow these clauses will result in a loss.

Clauses
  • Items Clause - All items excluding held items are banned from use.
  • Species Clause - A player cannot have two of the same Monster on their team.
  • Evasion Clause - Moves that directly increase Evasion without dealing damage are banned.
  • Accuracy Clause - Moves that directly decrease an opponent's Evasion without damage are banned.
  • OHKO Clause - Moves that have a chance to instantly KO are banned.
  • Bomber Clause - Using a 100% recoil move when an opponent has one Monster left is considered forfeiting.

This post will be updated as necessary.
I DONT GET IT * smashes a fork with mind*
Your life just got better. 

You're welcome.

[Image: k29ed.jpg]
Lol, sorry, I'll clarify everything once I get some rest. I'm extremely tired at the moment and I need some sleep. Good night.
it seems perfectly understandable.
lamb to the rescue once again.
Quote: Do you hear the Whisper Men The Whisper Men are near
If you hear the Whisper Men then turn away your ears
Do not hear the Whisper Men whatever else you do
For once you've heard the Whisper Men they'll stop. And look at you.
I like it. Just like PO almost but.. this is simple for me to understand XD

i like it maybe we can make a tour soon using 1 of these tiers?
[Image: SamurottGSig.png]
Dont mess with the Samu or else you'll be left to rott in the Sanzu.
Credits go to SparrowHawk for the amazing sig.
a tourney based on this would be awesome.
just need a way to confirm entrants team>.>
So, with this, our game focuses on the pokemon journies such as achieving gems (badges) - catching monsters - exploring new places and now pvp Smile

Thread Stickied
I still dont get it -.-"
*smashes spoon with mind*
Your life just got better. 

You're welcome.

[Image: k29ed.jpg]
I updated the OP for clarification, Ghost.
Raith had some tiers in his competition thingy...
they followed this system,i think.
Ah, thanks for bringing that up Deidara.

As most of you know, Raith has set up a tournament which uses my tier system, as well as some other clauses. The other clauses are very similar to the clauses I had in mind, so I would like to propose a few clauses to be added to the OP.

Here they are:

Items Clause - All items excluding held items are banned from use.
Species Clause - A player cannot have two of the same Monster on their team.
Evasion Clause - Moves that directly increase Evasion without dealing damage are banned.
Accuracy Clause - Moves that directly decrease an opponent's Evasion without damage are banned.
OHKO Clause - Moves that have a chance to instantly KO are banned.
Bomber Clause - Using a 100% recoil move when an opponent has one Monster left is considered forfeiting.

Please post saying whether you agree to these clauses being implemented into MonsterMMORPG's Competitive Metagame, and please explain why or why not.
I agree to this because it can allow for fair play in PvP battles
[Image: ZekromSig.png]

Credits to SparrowHawk
Heck yeah Lamb, I was gonna post this sooner or later! I'm glad we're thinking on the same wavelength.

But honestly the metagame right now will stink because everything is unbalanced (by that I mean, TOO balanced in terms of cookie-cutter well-rounded stats). What I'm anticipating is better and more extreme variety without sacrificing balance, which GK is supposedly going to help us with to an extent. Once the stats are fixed, we'll probably break out of grouping strength by rarity. At that point, maybe we could even use Smogon's tier system which we both know works effectively.

EDIT: Or it may go the other way around, and rather than adjusting the tiers, Monsters will be relocated to tiers they fit best in. I suppose that may work too, but it involves work from Furkan that we could avoid altogether.
[Image: GgcM.png]
stats may be fixed also moves and abilities need to be fixed so that we can have a well structured and balanced game to make for a awesome metagame

Credits to SparrowHawk
(2011-11-18, 01:00 AM)Raith Wrote: Heck yeah Lamb, I was gonna post this sooner or later! I'm glad we're thinking on the same wavelength.

But honestly the metagame right now will stink because everything is unbalanced (by that I mean, TOO balanced in terms of cookie-cutter well-rounded stats). What I'm anticipating is better and more extreme variety without sacrificing balance, which GK is supposedly going to help us with to an extent. Once the stats are fixed, we'll probably break out of grouping strength by rarity. At that point, maybe we could even use Smogon's tier system which we both know works effectively.

Yes, all the Monsters are more or less the same in terms of their stats lol. And the stats are being fixed? YES. That'll make things so much better.

The problem with trying to use Smogon's tier system is that we won't exactly have usage stats to place the Monsters in different tiers. However, if CeFurkan develops something so we can have access to usage stats, then that will be great.
Lamb Wrote:The problem with trying to use Smogon's tier system is that we won't exactly have usage stats to place the Monsters in different tiers. However, if CeFurkan develops something so we can have access to usage stats, then that will be great.

Oh true, I neglected to consider that. Looks like Furkan has some work cut out for him any way we slice it. I talked to him about the stats issue recently, but he's placing NPCs as his top priority so we'll have to wait for him.

About the Bomber clause.. What if you have 2 monsters left and 1 of them knows bomber? Would that still be a forfeit?

Also, I agree with the rest.

And stats are being fixed? Yay! Speed seems to be a problem right now and most natures reduce it Sad Me likes speed.

(2011-11-18, 01:12 AM)Raith Wrote: Oh true, I neglected to consider that. Looks like Furkan has some work cut out for him any way we slice it. I talked to him about the stats issue recently, but he's placing NPCs as his top priority so we'll have to wait for him.

Alright then. We will just have to be patient.

And yeah Dei, what Raith said. Sorry, apparently we both posted at the same time and I didn't notice your post until a little after I posted for some reason. Tongue
i agree most natures decrease speed

Credits to SparrowHawk
Dei, the clauses that involve moves are only violated if the Monster uses a move that falls under "banned" parameters.

So, no. As long as it isn't used, the clause isn't broken.
(2011-11-18, 01:21 AM)Raith Wrote: Dei, the clauses that involve moves are only violated if the Monster uses a move that falls under "banned" parameters.

Alright so Bomber can only be used for 5 pokemon if Bomber Clause is used. Gotcha Big Grin

What else is there except Tiers and Clauses?

I really like this idea
"If you don't like your destiny, don't accept it. Instead, have the courage to change it the way you want it to be"
Deidara Wrote:What else is there except Tiers and Clauses?

That's pretty much it. Maybe there are a few lingo words that we'll use to describe certain sets, but those will be coined after the metagame has time to settle.
(2011-11-18, 01:25 AM)Deidara Wrote:
(2011-11-18, 01:21 AM)Raith Wrote: Dei, the clauses that involve moves are only violated if the Monster uses a move that falls under "banned" parameters.

Alright so Bomber can only be used for 5 pokemon if Bomber Clause is used. Gotcha Big Grin

What else is there except Tiers and Clauses?
its not pokemon silly dei

Guider456 Wrote:its not pokemon silly dei

Lol, I'm guilty of doing that too.

EDIT: Oh snapple, sorry. My posts are devolving into non-constructive junk D':
Okay, as no one has posed any objections the the clauses I proposed, the OP has been updated with those clauses.
hmm ok back to the tiers... i don't see starter being a good tier since the only way to get them is from donators and such like most people would probably only have 1 starter unless you just want to make it 1v1