Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Needs a bit of tweaking. Got some tweezers?
*This idea will not accept any supporters until fully developed and released in the In-Game Suggestions board.*

This idea was thought of inside Quanto_Konami's thread, thank you Quanto. Due to having a few challenging restrictions such as limiting the monsters bought by new players and trades, this is to limit chat access for a challenge and some independence.

We now have the wiki to support users with information of the game. Hello, Welcome to the Wiki of Monster MMORPG

This suggestion is to give another use of our Ancient Gems. For users to have at least a small taste of our game by doing it themselves and for using the wiki, they will have to do this.

In order to use the chat freely, they will need 2 Ancient Gems. The first 2 Ancient Gems should be quite easy, as they are the first ones to come our way. This does not restrict pms because : users could ask a [CM] for any help.

*Now accepting additional ideas and some tweaking to this suggestion. Remember, no supporters!*
I know where you got this idea from o.0 Anyways this all depends on the difficulty of the arena leaders...*which is still unknown..and which is why I suggested ways other than ancient gems to implement my idea Tongue*

Now with that being said...this is a very solid idea and it drastically cuts down the amount of spam/trolling done in chat... *Have personal experience with this type of idea working very well in many different mmo's*

The sad part...the chat is not structured so that people can see the chat...and yet not post...it would have to have a total rework...
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQjk8wO2t6sHmKt_B-_FtO...vOjUyihBSc]
That sounds like a good idea! 2 gems shouldn't be TOO difficult, and it will give them plenty of room to learn. However, with that... should there also be inquiry buttons or 'hover flags'. By hover flags, I mean like... how some sites have the little [?] that you can hover over to get information. That could be useful! Even for some experienced players!!! So maybe have these:
- new-comers cannot use the chat until they have acquired 2 Ancient Gems. This is so that they have to learn for themselves.
- also, all features (such as monster stats and items) have hover tabs {replace with correct term} that will give a brief description of what the stat, item etc is. It can also give a link to a full description in the Wiki
(2012-02-29, 10:52 PM)Quanto_Konami Wrote: I know where you got this idea from o.0
Where?
Quote:Now with that being said...this is a very solid idea and it drastically cuts down the amount of spam/trolling done in chat... *Have personal experience with this type of idea working very well in many different mmo's*
I'm a mod yet I forgot about spamming and trolling, lol.

Quote:The sad part...the chat is not structured so that people can see the chat...and yet not post...it would have to have a total rework...
[/quote]Which means, we have to include new ideas involving the chat, in a large pm to be able to send it all to CeFurkan.
He is planning to re-code the chat, so any ideas we have now, we can see if he's able to do them.

Well actually, it sort of is like that though. Being chat banned allows the user to see the chat but not post Big Grin
It doesn't kick them right out the chat.

Anyways, I was thinking that we should allow them to see the chat but not post. That's what my intentions were.

Quote:Well actually, it sort of is like that though. Being chat banned allows the user to see the chat but not post Big Grin

Anyways, I was thinking that we should allow them to see the chat but not post. That's what my intentions were.

So you think it could be written that new users are auto-banned and the server unbans them when they acquire 2 gems.
(2012-02-29, 11:09 PM)sundance93 Wrote:
Quote:Well actually, it sort of is like that though. Being chat banned allows the user to see the chat but not post Big Grin

So you think it could be written that new users are auto-banned and the server unbans them when they acquire 2 gems.
No, I'm saying that it has the same effects but it tells them that they have to acquire 2 ancient gems to gain access to the chat.

Chat ban is the same thing but tells them that they are chat banned because they violated the rules =.=
2 gems is a little much in my opinion, i think leaving a certain area or something would be more appropriate but 2 gems is too much. ;w;
Your life just got better. 

You're welcome.

[Image: k29ed.jpg]
(2012-02-29, 11:18 PM)Kamidara Wrote:
(2012-02-29, 11:09 PM)sundance93 Wrote:

No, I'm saying that it has the same effects but it tells them that they have to acquire 2 ancient gems to gain access to the chat.

Chat ban is the same thing but tells them that they are chat banned because they violated the rules =.=
right. pretty much the same concept though. I understand you. It's not the actual status of being banned, it's just the same effect as being banned. And that "ban" is lifted after acquiring the gems. I'm pretty sure we're on the page. It might just be my wording that's keeping our understanding of one another seemingly different.

Now let's think -- is there anything else we should change in the chat??
One think I've considered questioning is the fact that there are so many people chatting, and such a small area of chat. And while PMs are useful, they sometimes become a hassle because people don't like to flip between tabs as much. So maybe there could be chat for friends. Or perhaps "group" chats. Chat rooms that multiple people can enter as an exclusive chat.
I do have a feeling that with the numbers growing rapidly, there will need to be some sort of expansion to the chat.
(2012-02-29, 11:20 PM)Ghost Wrote: 2 gems is a little much in my opinion, i think leaving a certain area or something would be more appropriate but 2 gems is too much. ;w;
So perhaps you should have to have at least one gem and have reached North Pidgeon City in order for the no-chat status to be lifted???
(2012-02-29, 11:20 PM)Ghost Wrote: 2 gems is a little much in my opinion, i think leaving a certain area or something would be more appropriate but 2 gems is too much. ;w;
You don't even play the game ._. Oh wait, you can't handle challenges.

So your not up to any challenges? Hmph, I thought you were Ghost <.< I thought you were invincible.. I guess Ghost Unit was nothing but luck.

Seeing as the "fearless" leader is scared of a challenge, I'm disappointed. '-'

[Image: Emoticon_Thingy____by_Murasaki_Ayam.gif]
this would be a good addition to make people try harder, plus to, if the idea i had for a universal help button was implemented = makes accessing chat like a quest...

Also....Challenge accepted
You dare Challenge ME ?

(2012-02-29, 11:26 PM)Kamidara Wrote:

So your not up to any challenges? Hmph, I thought you were Ghost <.< I thought you were invincible.. I guess Ghost Unit was nothing but luck.

Do I smell smoke? Cuz I think there was a little flaming there Tongue haha but it was perfectly understandable. I agree that the purpose IS to have a challenge. So maybe there's a compromise lying around somewhere.
I completely disagree to this as the new map layout shows that the first arena is on map 20 and the 2nd is all the way on map 63 therefore making it extremely difficult to acquire the gems, and most will quit the game before even trying to get the badges which is very bad
[Image: ZekromSig.png]

Credits to SparrowHawk
(2012-02-29, 11:26 PM)Kamidara Wrote:

First off, i wasnt even that good ;w;
Second, Ghost Unit was ruined when it joined YOOOU T^T

Your life just got better. 

You're welcome.

[Image: k29ed.jpg]
(2012-02-29, 11:38 PM)Pein Wrote: I completely disagree to this as the new map layout shows that the first arena is on map 20 and the 2nd is all the way on map 63 therefore making it extremely difficult to acquire the gems, and most will quit the game before even trying to get the badges which is very bad
So these new maps: they're replacing the old ones? If that's so -- I'll go take a look at them But if they're going to be added and implemented with the new ones, this idea could work. If not, we can work on a new compromise. But the idea of limiting chat in the beginning and making New Comers have to learn for themselves is a good idea. The reason being that it forces them to learn to turn to external resources and people who are masters of the game. Rather than pleading for help on the chat board (and often being ignored.)
It is a good idea to have them learn and not plead for help, but 2 gems with the new maps cannot work it will cause a rapid decrease in players
[Image: ZekromSig.png]

Credits to SparrowHawk
this idea should not affect chat mods.
otherwise, am cool.
Quote: Do you hear the Whisper Men The Whisper Men are near
If you hear the Whisper Men then turn away your ears
Do not hear the Whisper Men whatever else you do
For once you've heard the Whisper Men they'll stop. And look at you.
(2012-02-29, 11:45 PM)Pein Wrote: It is a good idea to have them learn and not plead for help, but 2 gems with the new maps cannot work it will cause a rapid decrease in players
So then it should be as simple as one gem. It's not a big deal to cut back a little. Perhaps it should be that they have to have one gem and at least 6 Monsters. That, or there should be a "tutorial opener" that helps the players learn the most important things before they play.
(2012-02-29, 11:47 PM)orboknown Wrote: this idea should not affect chat mods.
otherwise, am cool.
I don't think it would affect chat mods. Besides, most of them are good enough by now that they'd be able to get a gem in about 5 minutes max. But chances are, since you guys already have a few extras, you'll have a mod over-ride of some sort that allows you to use it regardless of status.
good idea.... but what you guys are saying about a decrease in players... that's actualy not true... : cause when a person realy realy loves the game than he stays anyway also when this acient gem for chat idea is introduced .... when a player not likes the game... than he leaves anyway....so when someone not likes the game and leave the game ( or likes the game realy and stays )... there's nothing you can do to let the person that not loves the game think that he likes the game ( same with the person that likes the game ) sow , this idea may not be a big problem....and players with experience like quanto_konami , kamidara , uncle-lung-fish and any others can get 5 gems in 10 minutes sow anyway : i like it...
[Image: 33bo7zc.png]
My sprite
Actualy needs black bg
I don't like the idea... Many people use the chat to ask questions. I do like the hover tabs idea but I really don't like the chat banning newbies idea. Seems like a waste to me... Trolls/spammers are handled by our moderators.

I think the social part of this game really helps it maintain a user base. So removing that initially would do harm in my opinion.

Also, Pein already mentioned why it would not work with the new maps.
[Image: image]
(2012-03-01, 07:52 AM)Uncle Lung Fish Wrote: I do like the hover tabs idea...
yay! someone actually likes my idea Smile but regardless -- yas, I think it would really help if there were hover tabs next to certain things. They could contain a brief explanation, and a link to the wiki's extended explanation. It would help both new-comers find their way around, and it will help people who are accustomed to the game keep their memory in tact as well as discover new things if they haven't looked at the wiki yet.

Quote:I think the social part of this game really helps it maintain a user base. So removing that initially would do harm in my opinion.

You bring up a very valid point. While some people will stay to play simply because they enjoy the game, some might get frustrated that it's difficult to ask questions. While it may be a good idea to try and limit new-comers from being what SEEMS annoying... we also have to remember, there WAS a point when we were in their shoes. Plus there's always the fact that some people will feel alienated. They will feel like they are being blocked because they are already labeled as annoying... so perhaps it's not such a good idea.

However!!!! To make it easier, perhaps there could be sub-sections of the chat that make it easier for people seek help and not (quote unquote) "bother" the accustomed players. I was considering suggesting sub-sections of the cat anyway. I think that there should be extra sections under each language that make communication easier and help to limit clutter when a lot of people are trying to talk at once. Perhaps they could be:
Gen. chat -- short for 'general.' it is where people can simply chat with everyone
Need Help? -- is where new-comers can ask questions. CMs will often check this section, but all players are welcome to help out.
Group -- is an idea I'm considering... where you can build a temporary 'group' of people. It could be sort of like a party, or temporary guild. your
current group and group-members would be listed on your profile, and you can request people to join the same way you would request
a pvp session. When you log-out, you leave the group. I don't know how well the idea will go over... but I'm considering offering the
suggestion to the sharks in the 'idea development' forum. Maybe it can be expanded upon?
Chat PM -- would be a tab you can open to PM someone without having to have an extra page open, or without flipping back to the inbox and back to
the game.

The above idea is both a separate idea for discussion and also a possible solution to our problem. This way, we don't have to inconvenience or degrade new-comers, and we can all help and chat happy. It would clear up a LOT of chat issues. including the New-Comer questions, multiple conversations at once etc... what do we think of this?????
we do have teams laying around..they are just bloody inactive.
(2012-03-01, 01:46 PM)orboknown Wrote: we do have teams laying around..they are just bloody inactive.
I mean like, a digitally organized group that gives you exclusive chat options... like talking amongst that group in a separate chat section.
that may come in the summer update.
May
(2012-03-01, 02:08 PM)orboknown Wrote: that may come in the summer update.
May
That's part of what we're trying to discuss here... because we're aiming for a way to keep the chat clear of new-comers who continuously ask questions in the chat and clutter the already over-stuffed chat with questions that usually go unanswered anyway. So I was thinking we could add a chat section for questions.
well would it just be a player sent thing" hey wanna help my group for now" thing or would it be an "im in this guild i get access to this chat because of it" thing?
(2012-03-01, 02:37 PM)orboknown Wrote: well would it just be a player sent thing" hey wanna help my group for now" thing or would it be an "im in this guild i get access to this chat because of it" thing?
The idea I have is kind of like a passive group. The idea I'm leaning more towards is basically two people can start a group, and then other people can be added in or leave the group. But the group is only effective while the player is online. When the player goes offline, they are removed from the group...
It's kind of like a smaller chat between select people. That way if 3 or 4 friends want to talk, they can talk to one another simultaneously without being interrupted by others and without interrupting others.
The reason I wouldn't suggest 'guild' like options is that guilds are more set. And most people don't want to have to switch guilds or create new ones every time they want to talk with a few different people.
Plus with a passive group, people can easily enter and exit between different ones on a whim.

But then I guess would be the question of how to start a group.
I don't know anything about scripting... but perhaps it could be that any user can start a group with a cue on the chat board. That group could be assigned an individual code (the code can be reused after a group is ended.) Then players enter by invitation. But they don't see the group until invited. If they enter a group, they get another tab in the chat board for the group they're in. (maybe can be in more than one group at a time?)
This way when 20 people are using the board and 5 want to talk about Fruit, and 3 wanna talk about video games the people that aren't just general chatting can have their own space with no confrontation or confusion.

(although this is getting way off topic from the original idea. Although I suppose in some ways It's still relevant.)
i just thought of something... if everybody(maybe excluding mods) will need 2 ancient gems to talk on the chat won't that mean that until people get 2 gems only mods will be able to talk? this is going off on the newer maps though not the ones we have now.
[Image: SamurottGSig.png]
Dont mess with the Samu or else you'll be left to rott in the Sanzu.
Credits go to SparrowHawk for the amazing sig.
Forgot about this, lol.

Umm.. Yea, make it 1 gem because it is kinda far Tongue