Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I want to give it a shot.
And by shot, I mean someone should shoot me for my terrible, terrible, drawings.

Anyways, I have Colors 3D for my 3DS, and really want to learn how to draw properly, so I figure this would be a prime opportunity. I only have one 'mon drawn so far, and it's not very well drawn, but I'm looking for suggestions and improvements so I can actually become a decent artist AND have fun.

Anyways, here's the tree I have planned so far.

Tadpool (Water/Ice) -> Squirtpent (Water/Dragon) -> Hydrake (Water/Dragon)

OR

Tadpool (Water/Ice) -> Quivern (Ice/Dragon) -> Draglace (Ice/Dragon)

So far I have a rough picture of Tadpool drawn, and would like opinions.

Here's what I have for Squirtpent for now

Updated pic of Squirtpent (Tried to fix up the linework)

Hydrake

Opinions?
Criticisms?
Suggestions?
Hatemail?
Ovaltine?

Accepting any and all of the above, and I hope to hear and participate a ton. Big Grin
looks like a tadpole with a horn Big Grin
actually not bad..just something about it,seems cartoonish,maybe the colors are to solid? idk...i just feel like it's for a cartoon :p
[Image: 9s5dhk.jpg]
(2013-04-13, 06:01 PM)zacherymatthews Wrote: actually not bad..just something about it,seems cartoonish,maybe the colors are to solid? idk...i just feel like it's for a cartoon :p
Yeah, sorry, I draw very cartoony.
(2013-04-13, 10:05 PM)Quintic Wrote:
(2013-04-13, 06:01 PM)zacherymatthews Wrote: actually not bad..just something about it,seems cartoonish,maybe the colors are to solid? idk...i just feel like it's for a cartoon :p

Never, EVER apologize for drawing in a cartoony style. It's all I do. And, actually, I like this monster. The way the lineart flows, it looks pretty professional, at least from a cartoon standpoint. The lines of the eye, nostril, and tail look good, the shading maintains your style, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the creases in the horn. One thing I would suggest is making the highlights on the water a little brighter. In fact, if you mess around with the highlights and shading on the entire thing, you could make it look quite realistic. Keep it up, and thank you for greatly increasing my want for Colors3D. Big Grin

P.S. You said you wanted to learn how to draw properly, but, judging from this, it seems you've already known for quite a while. Just focus on getting better. Practice is key!
WHEN FIRST I APPEAR, I SEEM MYSTERIOUS! But when explained, I'm nothing serious. :3
Find me on deviantART, FanFiction, or YouTube!
Co-Composer of the Monster MMORPG Soundtrack
that's what it is !! the lack of seeing the shading, i mean,i can see it,just it's so light Tongue
It's fine to me. Looks alright and a bit cuddly.
(2013-04-14, 01:44 AM)SparrowHawk Wrote: It's fine to me. Looks alright and a bit cuddly.

I added Squirtpent.

My goal is to make the Water evolution line more cute, and the Ice evolution line more ferocious.
i like these,the concept is very good and the cartoonish feature of the first one is great
[Image: 34fxtdy.jpg]
Very Nice Big Grin
(2013-04-13, 11:42 PM)TexasToast Wrote:

Never, EVER apologize for drawing in a cartoony style. It's all I do. And, actually, I like this monster. The way the lineart flows, it looks pretty professional, at least from a cartoon standpoint. The lines of the eye, nostril, and tail look good, the shading maintains your style, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the creases in the horn. One thing I would suggest is making the highlights on the water a little brighter. In fact, if you mess around with the highlights and shading on the entire thing, you could make it look quite realistic. Keep it up, and thank you for greatly increasing my want for Colors3D. Big Grin

P.S. You said you wanted to learn how to draw properly, but, judging from this, it seems you've already known for quite a while. Just focus on getting better. Practice is key!

I'm, like, a novice at linework and coloring, so I'm trying to learn new things. Colors3D is great, but I'm not so good with it yet. >_<

They just had their first update this month though, and I think it's worth checking out.

I'm also awful at knowing how to practice what to get better at things.

Thanks for the kind words though, I'm loving this game and community so far.
(2013-04-14, 04:36 AM)Quintic Wrote:

I'm, like, a novice at linework and coloring, so I'm trying to learn new things. Colors3D is great, but I'm not so good with it yet. >_<

They just had their first update this month though, and I think it's worth checking out.

No problem. It's my job to make newbies feel welcome. (Stars forbid that the newbies don't feel welcome!) I also hate pointless flames, so I try to be as constructive in my criticism as possible by telling people what to fix in necessary.

Squirtpent is a really cool, creative design. The indigo highlights in the water give it a sort of depth or something. Your lineart and shading aren't nearly as good as Tadpool's (because Tadpool's was amazing), possibly because the screen wasn't quite big enough. It makes up for this with an interesting background and the overall uniqueness of the design.

May I make a suggestion? I'm not sure if you already meant to do this, but you could give Tadpool the ability to evolve into both Squirtpent AND Quivern by different means. That way, if someone like Henrie or Garbagekeeper redraws these, all five of your monsters could make it into the game. If you already planned for that, disregard this.Big Grin
WHEN FIRST I APPEAR, I SEEM MYSTERIOUS! But when explained, I'm nothing serious. :3
id say they're not bad Smile
[Image: tO3jDrM.png]
(2013-04-14, 02:08 PM)TexasToast Wrote:

No problem. It's my job to make newbies feel welcome. (Stars forbid that the newbies don't feel welcome!) I also hate pointless flames, so I try to be as constructive in my criticism as possible by telling people what to fix in necessary.

Squirtpent is a really cool, creative design. The indigo highlights in the water give it a sort of depth or something. Your lineart and shading aren't nearly as good as Tadpool's (because Tadpool's was amazing), possibly because the screen wasn't quite big enough. It makes up for this with an interesting background and the overall uniqueness of the design.

May I make a suggestion? I'm not sure if you already meant to do this, but you could give Tadpool the ability to evolve into both Squirtpent AND Quivern by different means. That way, if someone like Henrie or Garbagekeeper redraws these, all five of your monsters could make it into the game. If you already planned for that, disregard this.Big Grin
I was thinking Speed > Attack -> Water, Attack > Speed -> Ice, or something similar, and yeah, line art has been hard, due to shakiness from asthma. It's something I really want to work on, currently, I can't draw a straight line worth crap. So I try to cover it up with other stuff.

Which pretty much described my entire schooling history ever.
i love the transparency of the water..nice touch (:
(2013-04-14, 03:05 PM)Quintic Wrote:
(2013-04-13, 10:05 PM)Quintic Wrote: Yeah, sorry, I draw very cartoony.

I was thinking Speed > Attack -> Water, Attack > Speed -> Ice, or something similar, and yeah, line art has been hard, due to shakiness from asthma. It's something I really want to work on, currently, I can't draw a straight line worth crap. So I try to cover it up with other stuff.

For the longest time, I couldn't draw a straight line worth a crap either. (Funny... You sound like me a little.) I don't think any of my straight lines are really that straight, anyway, but I make them with multiple strokes. (The same thing goes for circles.) Since I draw with pencil, I can erase anything that messes up the straightness of the line. I'd assume you can do the same with Colors3D. Try making straight lines out of multiple strokes and see if that works.
(2013-04-14, 08:24 PM)TexasToast Wrote:
(2013-04-14, 03:05 PM)Quintic Wrote:
(2013-04-13, 11:42 PM)TexasToast Wrote: Never, EVER apologize for drawing in a cartoony style. It's all I do. And, actually, I like this monster. The way the lineart flows, it looks pretty professional, at least from a cartoon standpoint. The lines of the eye, nostril, and tail look good, the shading maintains your style, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the creases in the horn. One thing I would suggest is making the highlights on the water a little brighter. In fact, if you mess around with the highlights and shading on the entire thing, you could make it look quite realistic. Keep it up, and thank you for greatly increasing my want for Colors3D. Big Grin

For the longest time, I couldn't draw a straight line worth a crap either. (Funny... You sound like me a little.) I don't think any of my straight lines are really that straight, anyway, but I make them with multiple strokes. (The same thing goes for circles.) Since I draw with pencil, I can erase anything that messes up the straightness of the line. I'd assume you can do the same with Colors3D. Try making straight lines out of multiple strokes and see if that works.
Oh yeah, I do that, it's just really rough right now with how shaky my hands have been. There's always little bumps or squiggles that I can't erase properly either.
I tried fixing up the Squirtpent pic, please tell me what you think.
(2013-04-15, 01:59 AM)Quintic Wrote: I tried fixing up the Squirtpent pic, please tell me what you think.

Well, it's cleaner and holds in the colors better. I can't really blame you for shaky hands, though. If MY hands were shaky, I don't think I could draw like that, so you still have my respect. Don't fret too much about Squirtpent. I really want to see Hydrake and the Quivern line.
It's good to me. A little more experience and practice and the next drawing will be even better.
"A man who's lost his pride can never be free" 
- Ramza Beoulve
I wanted to try drawing with the spraypaint tool and do something weird with Hydrake, since I'm fairly certain if it does make it anywhere, it's going to be redrawn. I know it looks weird, haha.
wow, that water is realistic, like REALLY good Big Grin. only thing i don't love about that last drawing, is the face 0-0
(2013-04-16, 09:33 PM)zacherymatthews Wrote: wow, that water is realistic, like REALLY good Big Grin. only thing i don't love about that last drawing, is the face 0-0
Yeah, I just couldn't get it right with spray paint, I agree with you.
either way,still amazin (:
I love Hydrake's colors, but it's very indistinct and hard to see. Just my opinion; might want to darken the edges a bit.