Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA)

The Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) is a plurilateral agreement for the purpose of establishing international standards for intellectual property rights enforcement. The agreement aims to establish an international legal framework for targeting counterfeit goods, generic medicines and copyright infringement on the Internet, and would create a new governing body outside existing forums, such as the World Trade Organization, the World Intellectual Property Organization, or the United Nations.

The agreement was signed on 1 October 2011 by Australia, Canada, Japan, Morocco, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea and the United States. In January 2012, the European Union and 22 of its member states signed as well, bringing the total number of signatories to 31. After ratification by 6 states, the convention will come into force.

Read more

I heard it on the news since my country is one of those who signed in January 2012, on 26th - 27th Jan. 2012.

What do you think about it? Poland is having already numerous civil protests against it.
[Image: ngynt3.png]
its the international version of SOPA.
nough said.
Quote: Do you hear the Whisper Men The Whisper Men are near
If you hear the Whisper Men then turn away your ears
Do not hear the Whisper Men whatever else you do
For once you've heard the Whisper Men they'll stop. And look at you.
Yes, it is.
[Image: ngynt3.png]
ACTA aims not to censor the Internet, it will just monitor your usage on it. When the bill that puts ACTA into effect is passed, your ISP will be required to look over what you're doing to make sure you aren't doing anything illegal, like downloading copywritten material. For example, if ACTA was in effect right now and some guy decided to download this really cool picture he found on Google Images, he would get arrested. If your friend sent you this MP3 file of a song he wanted you to listen to via email or something, you and your friend would both be arrested (I believe). As you can see, it's a pretty big deal. We must stop ACTA from passing before it's too late.

American petition to stop ACTA: https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions#!/...t/MwfSVNBK

Global petition to stop ACTA: https://secure.avaaz.org/en/eu_save_the_...t/?abUepcb
So that means, things like Frostwire are going to be prohibited and I'll be arrested for further use of it?
Well... I'm not sure if it's illegal O.o but just a question/example.
(2012-02-17, 01:07 PM)Kamidara Wrote: So that means, things like Frostwire are going to be prohibited and I'll be arrested for further use of it?
Well... I'm not sure if it's illegal O.o but just a question/example.

Yes, that is correct.
Well, there's also the problem of proving that something was/was not purchased and finding the manpower to look over what a person has/has not downloaded. I'm not really sure that an ISP could even look over everything all of those people have done =/
The Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) is a plurilateral treaty that seeks to improve the global enforcement of intellectual property rights through the creation of common enforcement standards and practices and more effective international cooperation.