Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suspension of Habeus Corpus?
https://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/12...detention/
is im reading this right..
us citizens can now be detained w/out trial:/ thoughts?
Quote: Do you hear the Whisper Men The Whisper Men are near
If you hear the Whisper Men then turn away your ears
Do not hear the Whisper Men whatever else you do
For once you've heard the Whisper Men they'll stop. And look at you.
They Can already do this, but only during War Time and only under reasonable suspension of treason.

I think this is wrong, it leans to far towards fascism.
CeFurkan Wrote:
@Nitz_X u really should leave this game
[Image: kSLYA.png]
I know it is possible(Lincoln did it during the Civil War) but this does extend way too far into totalitarianism.
Quote: Do you hear the Whisper Men The Whisper Men are near
If you hear the Whisper Men then turn away your ears
Do not hear the Whisper Men whatever else you do
For once you've heard the Whisper Men they'll stop. And look at you.
it's good information.

to make this perfectly clear, the new law will actually give more rights to the accused and detained than previously allowed before. Now, the accused is entitled to an attorney to appeal the detainment. THere are also more strict guidelines that must be met before a person shall be detained. This could already be done, as was said above, however, it was not under war time. War time requires a declaration of war to be enacted. Which, we sadly have not had for a very very long time. We now have what we call "wars" which are actually considered conflicts by our government for all lawful purposes. It was under the Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF), that gave the president to use necessary force to detain a person. Which was too broadly defined of a term. The NDAA does however, give a wider spectrum of possible detainment situations than that of the AUMF, however, in those situations, the terms are specifically defined to be in conjunction with the PATRIOT act gathering of information. Some of these would be defined as a clear and immediate threat to the nations security as defined by 1a) Admittance or shown conspiracy to commit a terrorist act against the United States of America or its allies.

In short, this bill does actually encroach on civil liberties by doing nothing more than what had been done previously with the Bush administration Patriot act, and AUMF. The fact of the matter is, its getting a lot more hype because it is an election year than really it should. In the long game, this bill further promotes the "war on terror" which is much like the war on poverty, or the war on drugs, or the Christian view of the war on evil. These are wars that are forever ongoing, and use terms that scare us into thinking we need protections more than our freedoms.

I wish our country would sometimes just refer to the "War on terror" as intelligence gathering and counteractive measures to prevent loss of life. War is something one can supposedly "win". In my eyes,Terrorism is crazy, and you cant fight crazy, because crazy is something you cant expect, predict, or plan for. Its a lot of money wasted, civil liberties given away, and scared and pissed off individuals, all angry at losing so called "rights"; but we forget to realize, we are being lied to in the simplest of ways of irrational costly "wars", foreign aid, and military power.

In conclusion. I am sure you have all heard "the nice guy finishes last". We are trying to be the nice guy, helping other nations out, providing aid in both financial and military means. However, sometimes we forget to look at what made our nation great. It was not through helping others, being the saviors of the world and trying to push our views on others. We became great because we were selfish. We raced for technological and manufacturing growth. Industrial age, inventions of cars, building of transportation systems, and went to the moon. We pushed new frontiers, leaving others behind us in our wakes, expecting their own ambitions to carry them toward us in hopes to compete.

Personally, I think we have lost a lot more than our freedoms in recent years. We lost who we are.
(2012-03-06, 01:20 AM)Xrposiedon Wrote: Personally, I think we have lost a lot more than our freedoms in recent years. We lost who we are.
Amen to that, brother. Smile

It is wrong. I think so
(2023-05-17, 09:25 AM)Nanisa1 Wrote: It is wrong. I think so

Where is wrong? Fun Games