Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expanding Tournament Rules
From my recent experiences in participating tournaments, I think that the regulations for running tournaments need to be elaborated quite a bit.

I would very much appreciate a community discussion on this as I think it will help out participants and tournament directors on how to run a tournament.  If another member with higher standing than me would take over this thread, that would be greatly appreciated.

In my opinion the biggest gaps in the current rules document in my personal order of priority:

1. Tournaments should clearly spell out how opponents are paired and an estimate on how many rounds there are, and what tiebreakers are used if applicable:

Examples: Single Elimination, Double Elimination, Swiss, etc.

2. Tournaments should also clarify how many matches are used to determine the winner in a game and provide a deadline for when match results should be received.  They should also clarify rules for being able to offer draws and perhaps even byes depending on the format. The rules should clarify a protocol in the event a player experiences a serious bug during PVP. (Should the players continue?, under what circumstances, etc.)

3. A recommended protocol for ensuring players schedule matches within the deadline for a round should be established.  This does not have to be followed strictly, but it will alleviate concerns of what a player should do if he/she has trouble contacting an opponent so that he/she will not be penalized. 

4. Some recommendations on conflict resolution for participants and tournament directors would provide insight on how to run the tournament smoothly and make it more enjoyable for all participants.
There should be rankings for tournament directors.  Especially reputable tournament directors should be rewarded for their experience in running many tournaments through a title distinguishing such experience.

Any comments, thoughts are greatly appreciated. There are many other existing games that have a very established structure to model this after and I think this is an area that could greatly improve the quality of future PVP tournaments.
[Image: thelegendssigf.png]
The Bloodbath Arena Leader for the Legends Guild.
My Monster Fanfiction story!
(2013-02-25, 09:04 PM)UritheLostLight Wrote: From my recent experiences in participating tournaments, I think that the regulations for running tournaments need to be elaborated quite a bit.

I would very much appreciate a community discussion on this as I think it will help out participants and tournament directors on how to run a tournament.  If another member with higher standing than me would take over this thread, that would be greatly appreciated.

In my opinion the biggest gaps in the current rules document in my personal order of priority:

1. Tournaments should clearly spell out how opponents are paired and an estimate on how many rounds there are, and what tiebreakers are used if applicable:

Examples: Single Elimination, Double Elimination, Swiss, etc.

2. Tournaments should also clarify how many matches are used to determine the winner in a game and provide a deadline for when match results should be received.  They should also clarify rules for being able to offer draws and perhaps even byes depending on the format.  The rules should clarify a protocol in the event a player experiences a serious bug during PVP.  (Should the players continue?, under what circumstances, etc.)

3. A recommended protocol for ensuring players schedule matches within the deadline for a round should be established.  This does not have to be followed strictly, but it will alleviate concerns of what a player should do if he/she has trouble contacting an opponent so that he/she will not be penalized. 

4. Some recommendations on conflict resolution for participants and tournament directors would provide insight on how to run the tournament smoothly and make it more enjoyable for all participants.
There should be rankings for tournament directors.  Especially reputable tournament directors should be rewarded for their experience in running many tournaments through a title distinguishing such experience.

Any comments, thoughts are greatly appreciated. There are many other existing games that have a very established structure to model this after and I think this is an area that could greatly improve the quality of future PVP tournaments.
@1- I agree on this. It would also help smooth things out if there were clear, unmovable deadlines, circumstances withstanding.
2-3 are fine.
4-I was bugging the mods a while back about making tourney directors an approved group, and keeping tabs on who was good/reputable as a solid organizer, etc. Having a panel to voerview rules sets and make sure everything is tied up with a purty lil bow on top would help out a lot so we don't have a half dozen running at the same time.
Quote: Do you hear the Whisper Men The Whisper Men are near
If you hear the Whisper Men then turn away your ears
Do not hear the Whisper Men whatever else you do
For once you've heard the Whisper Men they'll stop. And look at you.